Wow, week 4. It’s still early in the season and things are starting to ramp up a little. The peas are starting to come on this week, so we hope to have snow peas next week. We’re going big on the salad mix this week because the beds are overflowing with delectable greens. Of course, there’s more of the spinach as well. Here are a few recipes to help you all keep it ‘fresh’ this week with your veggie shares.
Ladawna’s Savory Juice
2 large bunches spinach
1 small bunch kale or chard
2 large tomatoes or 2 cups cherry tomatoes
2 cloves fresh garlic
When the juice is done season to taste with
fresh lemon juice
Spinach and Cheese bake
- 1 tablespoon butter, melted
- Cooking spray
- 1 big bunch fresh spinach, chopped
- 1 1/4 cups (5 ounces) shredded reduced-fat sharp cheddar cheese
- 3/4 cup (3 ounces) shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- 1 1/3 cups all-purpose flour (about 5 3/4 ounces)
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 1 cup egg
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon baking powder
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 1/4 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground nutmeg
- 1/8 teaspoon ground red pepper
Preheat oven to 350°.
Pour the butter into the bottom of a 13 x 9-inch baking dish coated with cooking spray; tilt dish to coat. Place spinach evenly in bottom of dish; sprinkle evenly with cheeses.
Lightly spoon flour into dry measuring cups; level with a knife. Combine flour and remaining ingredients in a medium bowl; stir with a whisk until blended. Pour milk mixture over cheese. Bake at 350° for 40 minutes or until lightly browned. Serve immediately.