- 1 c Black-eyed peas, soaked overnight
- 1⁄2 c Dried split peas
- 1⁄2 c Pearl barley
- 3 qt water
- 1 T Cold-pressed olive oil (or Use your favorite fat free Liquid)
- 2 med Carrots, sliced
- 4 Carrot tops (greens only Stems removed, chopped)
- 1 large bunch beet greens, chopped
- 1 Leek or onion, sliced or chopped
- 1 large Potato, unpeeled, diced
- 1⁄2 Bay leaf
- 1⁄4 t thyme
- 1⁄4 t tarragon
- 1⁄4 t Savory
- 1 t Salt
- 1 ds Pepper
Cooking Carrot-top soup
1. In a large pot, place the black-eyed peas, split peas, pearl barley, and water and simmer until the beans are tender, about 45 minutes.
2. In a skillet heat the olive oil (or other liquid).
3. Add the onions and saute, covered, 10 minutes or until the onions begin to brown.
4. Turn off the heat under the onions and pour about ½ c of the bean cooking water into the skillet and mix well.
5. When the beans are cooked, add the onions and all the other ingredients to the bean pot and cook another 30 minutes, or until the vegetables are tender.
6. Serve in large soup bowls with generous servings of fresh whole wheat or black bread.
7. from _high_road_to_health_, by lindsey wagner and ariane spade.