Check out this wonderful article for several ideas on how to use your leeks this week! This one is probably going to be our favorite…
Leek & Bacon Pie
- Preheat the oven to 325°F. Lightly grease a 9-inch glass pie plate.
- Trim off the root ends and dark green leaves from the leeks, leaving the white and tender green. Halve the leeks lengthwise (or quarter if using large), then cut crosswise into 1/2-inch slices. Wash the leeks in a large bowl of warm water. Carefully scoop out the leek pieces (which will float), leaving the sand and grit in the bottom of the bowl.
- In a large skillet, cook the bacon until crisp. With a slotted spoon, transfer the bacon to paper towels to drain. Pour out all but a light film of bacon grease.
- Heat the skillet over medium-high heat and add the leeks. Sprinkle with the salt and cook, stirring often, until softened, about 5 minutes. Scrape into the pie plate. Sprinkle on the bacon and set aside.
- Meanwhile, in a bowl, combine the baking mix and pepper. Stir in 1/2 cup of the milk, then the remaining milk and the eggs. Stir just to moisten. Pour the batter over the leeks and bacon and bake for 45 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Let sit for 10 minutes before slicing. Serve warm or at room temperature.